Dated: Sept 25, 2004.
The Chacuchat was the first light machine gun the AEF had, supplied by the French government because the AEF had no other. It has a distinctive 20 round semi-circular clip.
The ubiqitous Lewis light machine gun with it's distinctive circular magazine on top was designed by an American and used by many of the combatents including the US forces. It could be found on planes, trains, automobiles, boats, tanks and armored cars.
The officer holds a Colt 45.
The Colt Model 1895 automatic machine gun designed by the great John Browning first saw service during the Spanish American War.
The first AEF divisions landing in France got the Hotchkiss, but all were replaced by the M1917.
The shotgun was an effective blast weapon in small spaces, the bayonet ensured a measure of finality. The great BAR replaced the other light machine guns and was used for many years beyond WWII.
The Newton 6 inch mortar supercedes the Stokes 3 inch mortar and reinforces the adage that bigger is better.
One pounder cannon for the front lines, proving that good things can come in small packages.
Each platoon had a 12 man hand grenade section distinguished by their pistols (also carried by trench raiders.)
The platoon had a 17 man rifle section.
Rifle grenade launcher.
Please feel free to comment.
All rights reserved. Any unauthorized or commerical use of content or images are violations of applicable laws and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Any trademark usage or proprietary images on this page are only for the purposes of review or such, and is considered fair dealing and permissible under the Copyright, Design and Patents Act, 1988 (UK). Copyright 2004.